During this period of school closure we will be supporting our children to ensure they can still access activities and resources that support their education.
A weekly detailed home learning grid will be emailed out to parents every Monday morning (see below for copies). This will give a range of tasks, activities and links to online learning platforms to support children. Please contact the office if you need a paper copy of this or if you need any support.
When faced with challenge of suddenly “home schooling” there is no right or wrong approach and every family will be approaching this differently. Whilst we recommend doing regular practice of basic skills (e.g. times tables, spelling, handwriting, reading) it is not appropriate to set an expectation on amount of work that should be completed daily.
For those families who wish for a more structured approach there are a number of sites which are offering daily lessons. Some of these come with activities and worksheets for different ages. Such as:
- Joe Wicks PE (Youtube) – Daily PE workouts every morning at 9:00am.
- White Rose Maths – Daily maths lessons that are age appropriate. https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/
- The DfE have published a list of on-line learning resources, all of which are being offered for free and across a number of subjects and phases. These will all compliment the weekly home learning and provide additional learning resources that you may be interested in.
- BBC Bitesize are adding 3 new lessons every weekday for each year – https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/
It is important to remember that in this challenging time, the mental health and wellbeing of children should always be at the forefront of our minds. All children have access to Fitter Future and daily wellbeing activities on this site may be supportive.
The following links offer useful advice for parents on supporting children at home.
- Helping your child to generate ideas for writing
- Alternatives to Writing
- Supporting your child with handwriting difficulties at home
- Useful websites to support your child with maths difficulties at home
- Supporting your child with maths difficulties at home TB update
- Supporting your child with spelling difficulties at home
- Supporting your child with reading difficulties at home
- Paired Reading
- Free online resources to support learners with phonics
- LW SpLD school telephone helpline
- Tips for supporting wellbeing at home
- Coronavirus – A Book for Children by Elizabeth Jenner, Kate Wilson and Nia Roberts, illustrated by Axel Scheffler:
- Great downloadable app for 10+ now with Coronavirus support: https://www.healios.org.uk/services/thinkninja1
- The Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health have published this podcast:
Coronavirus, and helping children with autism – ‘Autism, a parents guide’
- Information and advice for young people:
Support for Children with a Special Educational Need
Home Learning Grids
|Week 8 of Closure (w/c 1 June):|
|Week 7 of Closure (w/c 18 May):||Week 6 of Closure (w/c 11 May):|
|Week 5 of Closure (w/c 4 May):
|Week 4 of Closure (w/c 27 April):|
|Week 3 of Closure (w/c 20 April):
||Week 2 of Closure (w/c 30 March):