Harpenden’s highest performing primary school for attainment and progress
(based on 2022 SATS results)
Our official open mornings for children looking for a Reception place from September 2024 have now taken place. If you’d like to book a tour please call the school on 01582 767 939.
The Lea Primary and Nursery is a small, nurturing and inclusive one-form entry school in Harpenden. Our school’s vision is to be at the forefront of high-quality education.
- A dedicated team of experienced teachers who go above and beyond to create outstanding learning opportunities without limits.
- ‘WOW’ learning through interactive experiences, and school trips making learning memorable and fun!
- Large outdoor spaces including multiple playgrounds, playing field, outdoor classroom, gym trim trail, all weather daily mile track and play equipment for all ages.
- Flexible nursery hours incl. 30 hours funded childcare for all eligible families.
- Varied extra-curricular activities covering a multitude of sports, dance and musical theatre.
- Full wraparound care from 7.30am to 6pm, ideal for working parents. Our after-school club and nursery provision were rated ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted in October 2022.
- A strong sporting involvement including football, netball, cross country, basketball, tag rugby, rounders, cricket, etc – see our list of upcoming sporting fixtures here. Being a small school, every pupil gets a chance to participate if they want to. We have a dedicated sports coach on the staff.
- Strong community ethos and active PTA.
- A small school which nurtures and values each individual.
- In June 2022 we were proud to be the first primary school in Harpenden, St Albans and the villages to receive the kitemark accreditation for Emotional Wellbeing and Mental Health Awareness, by Healthy Young Minds in Hertfordshire (HYMIH).
We look forward to welcoming you to The Lea.
“We have been really pleased with The Lea to date. Our daughter has settled well, loves her teacher and is making friends. In the short amount of time since starting Reception I can already see a big improvement in her writing and understanding of letters and words. She also enjoys all of the arts & crafts, music, outdoor play and forest school. The Lea has a lovey community spirit, and as a family we enjoyed the fete in September and are looking forward to the Christmas events. So far so good, we are very pleased with our choice of school.” Reception Parent, 2021