Our 2019 Year 6 SATs results place The Lea as the highest attaining primary school in Harpenden; in the top 6 across the whole of Hertfordshire; and in the top 3% in the whole of England.
If you have missed our previous open mornings and would like a tour of the school please call the school office on 01582 767 939.
The Lea Primary and Nursery is a small, nurturing and inclusive one-form entry school in Harpenden. Our school’s vision is to be at the forefront of high-quality education.
- A dedicated team of experienced teachers who go above and beyond to create outstanding learning opportunities without limits.
- ‘WOW’ learning through interactive experiences, and school trips making learning memorable and fun!
- Large outdoor spaces including multiple playgrounds, playing field, outdoor classroom, gym trim trail, all weather daily mile track and play equipment for all ages.
- Flexible nursery hours incl. 30 hours funded childcare for all eligible families.
- Varied extra-curricular activities covering a multitude of sports, dance and musical theatre.
- Full wraparound care from 7.30am to 6pm, ideal for working parents. Our after-school club and nursery provision were rated ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted in October 2022.
- A strong sporting involvement including football, netball, cross country, basketball, tag rugby, rounders, cricket, etc – see our list of upcoming sporting fixtures here. Being a small school, every pupil gets a chance to participate if they want to. We have a dedicated sports coach on the staff.
- Strong community ethos and active PTA.
- A small school which nurtures and values each individual.
- In June 2022 we were proud to be the first primary school in Harpenden, St Albans and the villages to receive the kitemark accreditation for Emotional Wellbeing and Mental Health Awareness, by Healthy Young Minds in Hertfordshire (HYMIH).
We look forward to welcoming you to The Lea.
“We have been really pleased with The Lea to date. Our daughter has settled well, loves her teacher and is making friends. In the short amount of time since starting Reception I can already see a big improvement in her writing and understanding of letters and words. She also enjoys all of the arts & crafts, music, outdoor play and forest school. The Lea has a lovey community spirit, and as a family we enjoyed the fete in September and are looking forward to the Christmas events. The Head Mr Berry is very open and easy to meet, speak with or discuss anything you might need. So far so good, we are very pleased with our choice of school.” Reception Parent, 2021
“As headteacher at The Lea, I am incredibly excited about what the future holds for your children and welcome you to the school to find out more.” James Berry, Headteacher