Welcome to the special educational needs section of the school website.
Our Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator is Mrs Sally Davey. With the support of the headteacher and governing body, her role is to work with parents and all adults in school to develop effective ways of overcoming barriers to learning and promote high quality teaching for children including those with any additional needs to ensure that all children can access the curriculum and make progress. Additional needs include learning difficulties, mental health difficulties or supporting children and families who speak English as an additional language (EAL), children with attendance concerns and medical needs.
Mrs Davey is in school on Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursdays each week and is available to talk to by phone or in person. You can also email her on firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is a wealth of support for parents and carers in the school and local area. Please scroll down for further information. At the bottom of the page are the current parent support networks, as well as parent workshops and training. You will also find useful documents giving advice on how you can support your child if they have a special educational need. If you can’t find what you are looking for, just call or email Mrs Davey or the school office.
For information on how the school supports children with special educational needs please look at the school’s SEND Information Report and SEND Policy below:
Additionally there are links below for parent support and training that you can find out more about and access directly.
Hertfordshire SEND Services
- DSPL – There is a support page for parents with lots of local information on support groups and training opportunities.
- Harpenden Partnership Plus – Family Support workers to help parents and children access services and support
- Families First
- Contact a SEND service
- SENDIASS – Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service.) Impartial and confidential information, advice and support to parents and carers of children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND), and young people and children with SEND.
The Hertfordshire SEND Local Offer
The Hertfordshire SEND Local Offer is a one-stop shop for information, support, services and activities available for children and young people with special educational needs, and their families.
- Services for parents, carers and families (hertfordshire.gov.uk) – From this page you can find all the different types of support that parents and carers of children and young people with SEND might be able to access, including information on support groups, mental health, parenting courses and how to access services such as SENDIASS.
- Parent Support Summer Term 2023 – this booklet outlines the courses that are being run by external providers over the Summer term 2023 to support parents and families who have a child or children with additional needs.
Speech and Language Development
- The Children and Young People’s (CYP) Speech and Language Therapy service offers a child- and family-centred approach to support CYP with speech, language, communication needs (SLCN) and those with eating and drinking difficulties in Hertfordshire. The website has the dates and times of Drop-In Clinics for children under the age of 5.
Speech and Language Therapy Advice Line
- Michael Palin Centre (MPC) for Stammering – help children, young people and adults who stammer through individually-tailored therapy delivered by highly experienced specialists.
- Action for Stammering Children – commission the MPC to deliver specialist assessments and therapies that change the lives of children and young people who stammer.
- Stamma – the UK charity for people who stammer and their supporters.
Autism and Attention Deficit (Hyperactivity) Disorder
- ADDvance – A Hertfordshire based charity that supports parents and carers with children who have a diagnosis of, or traits of ADHD, Autism or related conditions.
- ADDISS is the National Attention Deficit Disorder Information and Support Service. Their website offers resources for carers, young people and teachers.
- Angels – A parent-led support group for parents and carers of children with ADHD/Autism.
- National Autistic Society is the UK’s leading charity for people on the autism spectrum and their families.
- SPACE Supports families of children and young people who are autistic, have ADHD or other neurodiverse conditions.
Specific Learning Difficulties
These include difficulties with reading, writing, spelling and/or mathematics. It also includes problems with the speed of processing information, with working memory, organisational skills, phonological awareness and co-ordination.
Please see attachments below, which provide information about how you can support your child at home if they have a specific learning difficulty.
- Harpenden Partnership Plus – list of courses available
- BeeZee Bodies – nutritionists and behaviour change experts who run weight management programmes for children and their families across Hertfordshire starting w/c 18 January. All services are currently running online. For further information and referral criteria you can view the link below, visit their website: https://beezeebodies.com/ or contact them by email: email@example.com or by phone: 01707 248648:
Healthcare East Professionals ENHertsCCG
- Families in Focus – Siblings First is a therapeutic programme for primary aged brothers, sisters and parents of children with Special Education Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
- Parent Support Autumn Term 2023 – this booklet outlines the courses that are being run by external providers over the Autumn term 2023 to support parents and families who have a child or children with additional needs.
- ADD-vance Understanding ADHD & Autism 6-week course poster Autumn 2023
- ADD-vance Understanding ADHD & Autism Early Years 6-week course poster Autumn 2023
- ADD-vance Understanding Teens 6-week course poster Autumn 2023
- ADD-vance for Dads – Understanding ADHD & Autism 6-week course poster Autumn 2023
- ADD-vance Support Groups poster Autumn 2023
- ADD-vance Workshop Poster Autumn 2023
- EY SEND Chat Play Sep-Dec 23 dates South and West Herts
- EY SEND Chat Play Flier
- Parent coffee morning flier